Twin Zygosity Testing identifies whether twins are identical or fraternal twins. This type of testing would usually be done shortly after birth to satisfy the curiosity of the parents. You would also perform this test to aid in a medical emergency, such as an organ or blood donation.
- Fraternal (Dizygotic) twins are conceived from separate eggs and sperm; usually two (2) eggs and two (2) sperm. These type of twins will have 2 distinct DNA profiles.
- Identical (Monozygotic) twins are conceived from one (1) egg and one (1) sperm that split into two (2) embryos. This results in the twins having identical DNA.
A simple mouth swab is all that is needed to get a DNA sample from each of the tested parties, however, some unusual samples are accepted. Note that most unusual samples will incur a fee, as we must first extract the DNA in order to analyze it. Contact us for more information.
Before purchasing this test, it is important to contact us first, to discuss your requirements and whether this is the right test for you.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE TEST PRICE?
Whether you need a Peace-of-Mind (At-Home) Test, or a Legal (Chain-of-Custody) Test, the actual lab testing and analysis is identical, with the same level of rigorous testing methods. The only difference for a legal test is in how your samples are collected (see below).
The price for this test includes:
- 24/7 personal customer support in English and Thai.
- DNA Sample Collection Kit, containing everything you or your sample collector need to collect samples and complete paperwork. Note that this test fee does not include the Chain-of-Custody (CoC) Fee for legal sample collection, which is paid directly to your sample collector. Please see below for extra information regarding Legal Tests and the additional Chain-of-Custody (CoC) Fee.
- One (1) shipment of your samples (up to 0.5 kg in one shipment) by first-class, international priority courier to our lab in the USA.
- Testing of DNA samples provided on cotton tip for for two (2) people who are twins. To test additional people, you will need to add this option to your order. Scroll down the page to add this option to your order. To use unusual samples in this test, you will need to add this option to your order. Scroll down the page to add this option to your order.
- One (1) original, notarized English-language report, and one (1) original, notarized Thai-language report.
- Emailed results as soon as they are ready.
- Posting of hard-copy, notarized results to anywhere in the world by regular mail. To express the postage of your hard-copy results, you can upgrade to first-class, international priority courier. Scroll down the page to add this option to your order.
CHAIN-OF-CUSTODY (CoC) OF SAMPLES FOR LEGAL TESTS
Tests required for legal or official purposes must follow a strict chain-of-custody of the samples, and will incur an additional Chain-of-Custody fee, which is payable directly to your sample collector. This fee covers the collection of DNA samples by a certified, independent third party, the chain-of-custody of samples, and the identification verification process. Learn more about chain-of-custody of samples in our FAQ.
Following this process means your notarized result report will also be recognized as an official, legal document (note that foreign-issued legal documents used in Thailand also need to be authenticated after they are issued. Learn more about the difference between notarized, legal, and authenticated results in our FAQ.)
The sample collector could be your own doctor (with pre-clearance from PTC), one of our world-wide, certified collection centers, or a PTC representative from our Bangkok office.
- If you will visit our Bangkok office for your sample collection, or if one of our Bangkok PTC representatives will visit you at your home, hotel, or hospital, you can add the payment for Legal Sample Collection by PTC option to your order. Scroll down the page to add this option to your order.
- For all other sample collections, you must pay your sample collector directly. Contact us if you need more information or need to find a certified sample collector near you.