An mtDNA Test is a test used to identify your direct maternal lineage. The test analyzes your family tree, tracing backwards from a Child (male or female) to their Mother, then to their Mother's Mother, and so on, to find out who shares the same mtDNA.
mtDNA stands for Mitochondrial DNA - maternal DNA. This type of DNA is only passed down from Mother to Child (to both sons and daughters). However, even though males posses mtDNA, as Fathers, they do not pass it on to their children. mtDNA has an extremely slow mutation rate, meaning that it remains nearly identical after many generations. It is this characteristic that is used to identify a person's maternal lineage.
This test is primarily used to determine distant maternal ancestry. In Relationship Testing, it can be used as part of family reconstruction cases, and in particular, to see whether a person comes from the maternal line of a family tree. It is also commonly used to determine the likelihood of inheriting a certain genetic condition/disease.
A simple mouth swab is all that is needed to get a DNA sample. In some cases, we can accept unusual samples, however this is on a case-by-case basis and not all unusual samples can be used. Furthermore, prices vary depending on the type of sample supplied. Please contact us if you need to use an unusual sample for an mtDNA Test.
Before purchasing this test, it is important to contact us first, to discuss your requirements and whether this is the right test for you.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE TEST PRICE?
Whether you need a Peace-of-Mind (At-Home) Test, or a Legal (Chain-of-Custody) Test, the actual lab testing and analysis is identical, with the same level of rigorous testing methods. The only difference for a legal test is in how your samples are collected (see below).
The price for this test includes:
- 24/7 personal customer support in English and Thai.
- DNA Sample Collection Kit, containing everything you or your sample collector need to collect samples and complete paperwork. Note that this test fee does not include the Chain-of-Custody (CoC) Fee for legal sample collection, which is paid directly to your sample collector. Please see below for extra information regarding Legal Tests and the additional Chain-of-Custody (CoC) Fee.
- One (1) shipment of your samples (up to 0.5 kg in one shipment) by first-class, international priority courier to our lab in the USA.
- Testing of DNA samples provided on cotton tip for one (1) person (male or female). To test additional people, you will need to purchase a second mtDNA Test. In some cases, we can accept unusual samples, however this is on a case-by-case basis and not all unusual samples can be used. Furthermore, prices vary depending on the type of sample supplied. Please contact us if you need to use an unusual sample for an mtDNA Test.
- One (1) original, notarized English-language report.
- Emailed results as soon as they are ready.
- Posting of hard-copy, notarized results to anywhere in the world by regular mail. To express the postage of your hard-copy results, you can upgrade to first-class, international priority courier. Scroll down the page to add this option to your order.
CHAIN-OF-CUSTODY (CoC) OF SAMPLES FOR LEGAL TESTS
Tests required for legal or official purposes must follow a strict chain-of-custody of the samples, and will incur an additional Chain-of-Custody fee, which is payable directly to your sample collector. This fee covers the collection of DNA samples by a certified, independent third party, the chain-of-custody of samples, and the identification verification process. Learn more about chain-of-custody of samples in our FAQ.
Following this process means your notarized result report will also be recognized as an official, legal document (note that foreign-issued legal documents used in Thailand also need to be authenticated after they are issued. Learn more about the difference between notarized, legal, and authenticated results in our FAQ.)
The sample collector could be your own doctor (with pre-clearance from PTC), one of our world-wide, certified collection centers, or a PTC representative from our Bangkok office.
- If you will visit our Bangkok office for your sample collection, or if one of our Bangkok PTC representatives will visit you at your home, hotel, or hospital, you can add the payment for Legal Sample Collection by PTC option to your order. Scroll down the page to add this option to your order.
- For all other sample collections, you must pay your sample collector directly. Contact us if you need more information or need to find a certified sample collector near you.