For a test to be accepted legally, the collection of the DNA samples have THREE strict criteria:
1. COLLECTION OF SAMPLES BY A CERTIFIED, INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTY
DNA samples used in a Legal Test must be collected by an independent third party (certified collector, doctor, or lawyer). This sample collector must also be able to testify in a court of law that they collected samples correctly.
2. CHAIN-OF-CUSTODY OF SAMPLES
A Legal DNA Test must satisfy these chain-of-custody requirements:
- Ability to trace all locations to/from which the samples have travelled, ensuring they are not tampered with.
- Accountability of everyone who has handled the DNA samples, and these people are willing to testify that they have done so in a court of law.
- The DNA samples have never been handled or left alone with the people being tested, or anyone who is not part of the chain-of-custody of the samples.
3. VERIFICATION OF IDENTITY
A Legal DNA Test requires verification of the identity of the people providing the DNA samples, to ensure the people are who they claim to be. This process includes:
- Verification of photo ID (ID Card, passport) or Birth Certificate for children;
- Verification of date of birth;
- Photos taken at the time of sample collection;
- Completion of a Legal Consent Form, containing contact information and other details.
Therefore, in a Peace-of-Mind Test, you can collect your own samples and send them to us for testing, and you will receive the same standard of testing and same 99.99% guarantee as a Legal Test, but the result report cannot be used for immigration, custody, or any other legal purposes because the above three criteria have not been met.
If they are both the same test, then do they cost the same?
Yes, they cost the same because they are indeed the same actual test. However, for a Legal Test, there is an additional THB 1,500 Chain-of-Custody (CoC) Fee, which covers the entire legal sample collection process, all legal paperwork, and any legal documentation you may need from our laboratory should the chain-of-custody of your samples ever be contested.
The CoC Fee is not part of the test fee, and is therefore not paid to PTC, unless one of our Bangkok customer representatives is also your sample collector. If so, you can add payment for the CoC Fee to your order here. If not, and if you will instead have your sample collected by one of our certified collection centers, or by another doctor (with pre-approval), you will pay this CoC Fee directly to them at the time of your appointment.